In this post we will discuss how search engines work. Our lives are greatly influenced by digital media and the internet. Whatever we want to find out we just type it on our search engine like google and the results are displayed.
Let’s discuss the basics of search engines and how it works? This process includes: crawling, indexing and ranking the website pages. You will learn more about this thing here at our Digital Marketing institute.
How does a search engine work?
Search engines are tools which are used by users for queries and find results that match the web content. Search engine work is divided into three parts
Search engines always work to answer our queries by finding, understanding and discovering the most relevant content and provide us the best result to question.
The content that we get as a result must be visible for search engine, If your website and content cannot found by search engine then you can’t get ranked on SERP(search engine result page)
This process starts with
1. Crawling- Crawling is the first process of search engine where a search engine crawler (Spider or bot) crawls or scans a website to find new and updated content. This content can be in any form of images, videos, document, text form but these are always crawled in form of links.
Search engines always start crawling from a webpage but before that it starts with finding “url discovery” and then it scans all the pages that are mentioned as a link. Therefore it tracks link by link to find all the pages and content and store it in a large database known as caffeine. There are many algorithms and programs depending on which our web pages are crawled.
There are some reason when web pages are not crawled-
- server problem during crawling
- robot tag on some pages disallow crawling
- some pages are allowed on login
- duplicate pages on the website.
- network issues.
When a search engine completes its process of crawling all the pages are stored in a database known as index. This process includes analyzing what the page is about, the content, title tag, images, videos and many ranking factors.
Indexing includes all the urls that are crawled and contains many signal about the content:
Keywords used, type of content, fresh and quality content.
Reason for indexing issues :
- Low quality content
- Robot meta tag disallow
- Design of the website.
Whenever a user searches anything on a search engine, based on relevant and high quality content the results are shown on SERP. There are many factors on which relevancy is dependent such as location, language and device used.
3. Ranking- ranking refers to which position your website appears on the search engine result page. There are many factor and complex algorithms on which search engine rank our indexed pages :
- Usage of keywords in title, description.
- URL structure
- Page trust by the user
- Page load time.
- Bounce rate
- sitemap and internal linking
- and many other factors like traffic, authorship, and quality content.
Before starting with Digital marketing and SEO one must clear the basics of digital marketing. Search engines are the most important part of humans now as most people depend upon searching and finding the things on it.
We hope that this post helped you about the basics of how search engines work. If you want to learn more about Digital marketing we would recommend you to join our digital marketing course institute in indore for training.